If you often feel like you lack the ability to grow plants or end up disheartened with your results, then hydroponics might just be the solution. These best compact indoor gardening hydroponics systems for beginners can transform your growing experience from a failure to a success.
Now you may be thinking, “Hydro what?”. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Hydroponics is essentially the practice of growing plants without soil, using nutrient-rich water instead. Trust me; it’s easier than it sounds.
After trying and testing a heap of different indoor hydroponic systems on the market, I have found the best hydroponic system for beginners. This is the Click and Grows Wall Farm Indoor Vertical Garden. This is due to the fact that it provides me with a consistent supply of leafy greens and fresh veggies. What I like about this system is that its modern design, paired with the ample growing space, makes a functional statement in my kitchen. On top of that, if I go away for a holiday, the Click and Grow application monitors the plants for me using its innovative technology to check the water and nutrient consumption.
Another hydroponic kit I was impressed by was the Kalolary Hydroponic Grow kit. It was a simple, low-tech system that got me started on my hydroponic journey and additionally gave great results. I now use it outdoors to utilize the small sunny spot on my verandah to grow herbs and leafy greens.
You don’t have to go for the most extensive hydroponic system out there. Plenty of compact and medium-sized hydroponic systems are available, all with varying features.
So, whether you live in a tiny home, a small apartment, or a spacious mansion, you’ll be sure to find a hydroponic system.
- Best Yielder – The Wall Farm Click and Grow
- The Smartest – Smart Garden 27 Click and Grow
- The Simplest – Smart 9 Pro Click and Grow
- The Most User – Friendly – Aero Garden Harvest 360
- The Most Customizable – Kalolary Hydroponic Grow Kit on Wheels
- The Most Budget Friendly – INTBUYING Hydroponic System
- The Most Basic – Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit
Understanding Hydroponic Systems
Before we bombard you with the details of the different hydroponic systems out there, here is some brief information about the different types of hydroponic growing methods. Furthermore we will touch upon their pros and cons as well. Don’t worry, it’s not too technical!
Deep Water Culture (DWC)
Deep water culture (DWC) is in fact a popular hydroponic method for newbies because of its simplicity. In DWC systems, plants are suspended in a nutrient solution, and an air pump provides oxygen to the roots. The advantages of a DWC hydroponic system are that it is easy to set up, costs very little, and produces high yields. However, the disadvantage is that the system requires electricity to run the air pump. This can in turn be a drawback for those who are looking for a low-maintenance option.
The drip system is another favored hydroponic method that uses a timer to drip nutrient solution onto the roots of plants. The advantages of this system are that it is straightforward to set up and maintain. On top of that it allows for precise control of nutrient delivery. The downside of this system is that it can be prone to clogging, which can affect the plant’s growth.
Nutrient Film Technique (NFT)
The Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) is a hydroponic growing system that involves growing plants in a shallow stream of nutrient solution. This hydroponics growing system is low maintenance and requires no electricity. Therefore making it ideal for those looking for a more sustainable option. One disadvantage of the NFT to be mindful of is that this system can be prone to temperature fluctuations, which can ultimately affect plant growth.
Aeroponics is a hydroponic method that involves growing plants in a mist or fog of nutrient-rich water. The advantages of aeroponics include faster growth rates, higher yields, and less water usage for example. The most challenging part of this system is that it can be more complicated to set up and maintain and requires electricity to run the misting system.
The Wick system is a simple form of indoor hydroponic growing system that uses a wick to draw nutrient solution from a reservoir (a little bit like a self-watering pot) into the growing medium. One of the positive aspects of this system is that it is easy to set up and requires no electricity. However, the downside is that controlling the amount of nutrient solution delivered to the plants can be challenging. Which in turn can affect their growth rates also.
Best Yielder – The Wall Farm Click and Grow
The Click and Grow Wall Farm is a sleek, efficient, vertical, hydroponic garden system. It exceeded my expectations. As someone who was pretty new to hydroponic growing systems, I was in fact initially skeptical about the idea of a vertical wall system. Still, the Click and Grow has quickly become one of my favorite home decor pieces.
The installation process was pretty easy with the help of easy-to-follow instructions. Once I set up the complete system and ran it, I was then amazed at how quickly my veggies began to grow. The LED grow light provided the perfect lighting for my plants. Additionally the built-in irrigation system ensured that they received the right amount of water and nutrients.
What I love the most about the Click and Grow Wall Farm is its efficiency. The system uses a fraction of the water that traditional soil-based gardening requires. Additionally the compact design allows me to grow up to 51 different herbs and vegetables in a small space. Plus, the vertical structure is perfect for those who live in apartments or other small living spaces.
When it comes to up-to-date technology, Click and Grow has produced a companion app. This will allow you to monitor your plant’s growth and receive alerts when it’s time to fill the water or add nutrients. You really can’t go wrong! I am already planning to expand my Click and Grow farm to include more plants. I really can’t wait to see what else comes from this great product.
- Space Saving Design: The vertical system is perfect for those with limited space, and it allows you to grow a variety of herbs and vegetables in a small area
- Efficient Use of Resources: Uses a fraction of the water and nutrients required for traditional soil-based gardening.
- Easy Install and Maintain: The system comes with easy-to-follow instructions, and the included app makes it easy to monitor and care for your plants.
- Innovative Technology: The Click and Grow Wall Farm comes with a companion app that allows you to monitor your plant’s growth and receive alerts when it’s time to add water or nutrients.
- High Yield: The LED grow lights provide enough light for your plants resulting in fast and healthy growth.
Who’s It for?
The Click and Grow Wall Farm Vertical System is perfect for anyone just starting with a hydroponics system with limited growing space. It’s an excellent choice for those in apartments or small homeowners. Anyone who wants to therefore reduce their environmental impact should consider the Click and Grow Wall Farm. Not only does it reduce the amount of water and nutrients used in traditional soil growing, but it provides you with your own supply of fruit and veggies.
The Smartest – Smart Garden 27 Click and Grow
After using this hydroponic system for a few weeks, I have to say that I was impressed!
Firstly, the Smart Garden 27 is incredibly easy to set up and use. All you have to do is plug it in, add water and plant pods, and then the system takes care of the rest. The built-in grow lights, and irrigation system ensure that your plants receive the right amount of light and water. Consequently making it a foolproof way to grow herbs, vegetables, and other plants.
The Click and Grow smart garden systems use a combination of hydroponic and aeroponic methods to grow plants. The smart soil technology used in these systems provides plants with the necessary nutrients and oxygen they need to grow, while the built-in water tank and water pump ensure that plants receive the correct amount of water.
In addition, Click and Grow’s systems also use an aeroponic misting system to provide additional oxygen to the plant roots. This misting system sprays water droplets onto the plant roots, allowing them to absorb moisture and oxygen more efficiently.
One of the things I love most about the Smart Garden 27 is its space-saving design. The vertical, three-tier layout (made of 3 of the Smart 9 singular system) means that it takes up very little space in my kitchen. Nevertheless it still allows me to grow a variety of plants. The fact that it’s a hydroponic system means that I don’t have to worry about soil or messy spills.
The included app is also a great feature. It allows me to monitor my plants’ progress. Also I could receive alerts when it’s time to add water or nutrients. It even gives me tips on caring for each type of plant. It’s like having a personal gardening coach right in my pocket!
- 3-Tier Design: Gives you the flexibility to display your indoor hydroponic system in more than one way. You can use each individual system in different locations.
- Freestanding or Wall-Mounted Option: Display your hydroponic system as a decorative piece of furniture or use it as a wall display.
- Easy Assembly: Easy-to-follow instructions takes the guesswork out of installation.
- Simple Hydroponic method: Simple growing process makes it easy for first-time growers.
- The Efficiency with Energy and Water: Only uses the correct amount of water needed for optimal growth—no risk of overwatering or providing too much light.
- Innovative Technology: Like Wall Farm, this product comes with a companion app that monitors your plants’ growth and daily requirements.
Who’s It for?
Great for first-time hydroponic growers who want to grow their own organic fresh produce at home. The perfect option for people with a small space. Anyone who cares about their environmental impact should also consider this product too. It makes excellent use of resources while providing healthy homegrown produce that contributes to a reduction in carbon footprint.
The Simplest – Smart 9 Pro Click and Grow
When it comes to the most compact hydroponic systems, the Smart 9 Pro by Click and Grow takes the win. There are so many on the market nowadays, but the Smart 9 combines quality and design like no other.
Other hydroponic systems of this size on the market only offer 6 pod capacities. Whereas Click and Grow has designed their product in an intelligent way to maximize the growing space without compromising on the unit size.
This hydroponic system is designed to make growing fresh, organic herbs and vegetables at home a breeze. With its sleek and modern design, it can fit seamlessly into any living space, from a kitchen to a living room or office.
One of the standout features of this system is its ease of use. It’s fully automated, so you don’t need any gardening experience to get started. Simply plug it in, fill the water tank, and insert the plant pods. The system will take care of the rest, providing the right amount of light, water, and nutrients to help your plants thrive.
The Smart 9 Pro system also comes with a companion app that allows you to monitor the progress of your plants and adjust settings as needed. You can even set up custom lighting schedules to mimic natural sunlight and optimize plant growth.
- Automatic Lighting and Watering System: Efficiently makes use of watering and light to give the plants the correct amount to thrive.
- Companion Application: The application helps monitor your plant’s needs and adjust watering and nutrient schedule
- Compact Design: Single unit gives you the flexibility to display on a kitchen bench, in an office, living room, or in a small space.
- Easy Installation: Easy setup makes it beginner friendly, so those with no prior gardening experience can benefit.
- Quality Production: Manufactured with quality lightweight material making it easy to move around.
- Touch Control Light Strip: Conveniently turn the lights on or off, even when you have a busy hand in the kitchen—no need to search for a switch. Just simply swipe over the sensor.
Who’s It for?
The Smart 9 Pro is perfect for beginners who are looking for a budget-friendly option to grow their own produce in a fuss-free way. An application can control the simple hydroponics setup, so even if you are away from home, you can still care for your plants.
The compact size makes it possible to grow your own herbs, veggies, or flowers in a small space, so even if you have a tiny home, you can still have a small indoor garden.
The Most User-Friendly – Aero Garden Harvest 360
The AeroGarden 360 Hydroponic System is an excellent choice for indoor gardening enthusiasts. It’s a user-friendly system that’s simple to set up – just plug it in, add water, and insert your seed pods. The hydroponic system covers the rest, providing your plants with optimal light, water, and nutrients for healthy growth.
The AeroGarden 360 system is loaded with advanced features.This includes customizable lighting and a reminder system that alerts you when it’s time to add more water or plant food. Its sleek and modern design is also a great addition to any living space.
The AeroGarden 360 Hydroponic System is a top-of-the-line product that delivers impressive results. It’s perfect for anyone looking to grow fresh herbs and vegetables at home with minimal effort.
- Easy Installation: Easy to set up and use with no gardening experience necessary
- Innovative Technology: Advanced hydroponic technology that provides optimal lighting, water, and nutrients for plants to thrive
- Various Light Options: Customizable lighting settings to mimic natural sunlight and maximize plant growth
- Reminder System: Alerts you to add water and nutrients, making it easy to maintain and care for your plants
- Aesthetically Pleasing: Sleek and modern design that adds a touch of elegance to any living space
- 6 Planting Sites: Can grow up to 6 plants at once, providing a fresh and healthy source of herbs and vegetables
- Soil-less Growing: No soil is required, making it a mess-free and low-maintenance option for indoor gardening
- Compact Design: Ideal for those with limited space or who live in apartments or urban environments
- Warranty: Comes with a 1-year warranty for added peace of mind.
Who’s It for?
The AeroGarden 360 Hydroponic System is ideal for anyone who wants to start learning about hydroponic gardening. Also if you want to grow fresh herbs and vegetables without the mess of soil. It’s great for those with limited outdoor space or who live in an apartment. Perhaps also an urban environment where outdoor gardening is impossible.
Because it is easy to set up and maintain, those with limited time to devote to a hydroponic garden system can still benefit from the results for instance.
The Most Customizable – Kalolary Hydroponic Grow Kit on Wheels
The Kalolary Hydroponic Planting Equipment uses a Deep Water Culture System. This is when the roots of the plants are suspended in nutrient-rich water with an air pump used to provide oxygen to the roots. This method is often used for growing plants with more extensive root systems, such as herbs and vegetables. It doesn’t use a lighting system, so you will need to provide the plants with at least 4 hours of sunlight per day.
This kit includes everything you need to get started: a water tank, planting tray, air pump, and planting sponge. It’s compact and easy to set up, making it an excellent option for those with limited space.
One of the best things about this kit is that it’s highly customizable. The planting sponges are easy to use and can be replaced when needed, making them a cost-effective option in the long run.
The water tank is easy to fill and comes with a cover to prevent evaporation. The air pump helps to circulate the water, providing essential oxygen to the roots of your plants for healthy growth. The planting tray is also designed with a slope to accommodate larger plants and prevent water from accumulating at the bottom.
The only downside to this kit is that it’s a little small, so you may be limited in terms of the number of plants you can grow at once. However, it’s an excellent option for those just starting out in hydroponic gardening and looking for a cost-effective and easy-to-use kit.
- Complete Kit: Start hydroponic gardening with the water tank, planting tray, air pump, and planting sponge.
- Highly Customizable: Can be used to grow a variety of plants, including herbs, vegetables, flowers, and succulents.
- Easy to Set Up and Use: Clear, easy-to-follow instructions make it an excellent option for beginners.
- Compact Design: Designed to suit those with limited space.
- Cost-effective: As the planting sponges wear out in the long run, you can replace them when needed.
- Covered Water Tank: Water tank with cover to prevent evaporation.
- Air pump: The air pump helps to circulate the water, providing essential oxygen to the roots of your plants.
- Planting Tray: The planting tray is designed with a slope to prevent water from accumulating at the bottom.
Who’s It for?
The Kalolary Hydroponic Planting Equipment is designed for beginners who are interested in trying hydroponic gardening without investing in more expensive or complex systems. It’s an excellent option for those with limited space, as it’s compact and easy to set up in a small area.
This product is the best hydroponic system for those who want to grow various plants, as the planting sponges can be replaced and customized to fit different plants. It’s also a cost-effective option in the long run, as you can replace the sponges when needed rather than having to buy a whole new system.
The Most Budget Friendly – INTBUYING Hydroponic System
The NTBUYING Hydroponic 36 Sites Grow Kit is an excellent option for growing leafy vegetables indoors. With its 36-site design, this system offers ample space for a variety of plants, making it ideal for home gardeners.
One of the standout features of this grow kit is its efficient use of space. The 4-layer design and ladder outer set make it easy to stack plants vertically. Therefore maximizing the use of available space. This is especially important for those with limited indoor space. This kit doesn’t come with led lights, so you would have to purchase your own grow lights separately if you can’t supply your plants with enough sunlight indoors.
In terms of functionality, the included 110V pump and hose system make it easy to circulate nutrient-rich water throughout the grow kit. In turn providing plants with the necessary nutrient solution and hydration they need to thrive. Additionally, these hydroponic systems are made with high-quality materials, ensuring their durability and long-lasting performance.
While this grow kit may be more suited for experienced hydroponic growers, it is still relatively easy to use and comes with clear instructions for setup and maintenance. Overall, the NTBUYING Hydroponic 36 Sites Grow Kit is an excellent investment for anyone looking to grow their own organic food indoors for personal use. Its space-efficient design, high-quality materials, and efficient water circulation system make it a top choice for any serious hydroponic grower.
- Ample Space: With its 36-site design, this system offers ample space for growing a variety of leafy vegetables.
- Efficient Use of Space: The 4-layer design and ladder outer set make it easy to stack plants vertically, maximizing the use of available space.
- Efficient Water Circulation: The included 110V pump and hose system make it easy to circulate nutrient-rich water throughout the grow kit, providing plants with the necessary nutrient solution and hydration they need to thrive.
- Durable Materials: The grow kit is made with high-quality materials, ensuring its durability and long-lasting performance.
- Easy to Use: While this grow kit may be more suited for experienced hydroponic growers, it is still relatively easy to use and comes with clear instructions for setup and maintenance.
Who’s It for?
The NTBUYING Hydroponic 36 Sites Grow Kit is ideal for individuals or small-scale commercial growers looking to grow leafy vegetables indoors. It is best suited for experienced and beginner hydroponic growers. This is due to the fact it is relatively easy to use and has straightforward setup and maintenance instructions.
The grow kit’s efficient use of space, ample growing area, and efficient water circulation system make it an excellent investment for individuals with limited indoor garden space or those looking to maximize their output from indoor gardens. It is also suitable for those who want to grow their own fresh leafy vegetables year-round, regardless of the weather conditions or outdoor growing season.
The Most Basic – Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit
I purchased the Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit as one of my first hydroponic systems. I was very impressed with its performance, price, and design. The kit comes with everything you need to get started, including the air stone, 11-site bucket, air pump, and sponges. The instructions were easy to follow. I was able to set up the kit in no time. They included no nutrient solutions with these, so I had to order them separately.
One thing I appreciate about these hydroponic systems is their compact size. It’s perfect for growing herbs. Also small plants are easy in my apartment without taking up too much space. The 11 sites (holes) in the bucket provide plenty of room to grow multiple plants at once, and the sponges make it easy to transplant seedlings.
The air pump and bubble stone work well to oxygenate the water. Ensuring that my plants get the nutrients they need to grow quickly. I was amazed at how fast my herbs grew using these hydroponic systems, and I was able to harvest fresh herbs in just a few weeks.
- Complete Kit: This hydroponic grow kit comes with everything you need to get started. Including a bubble stone, an 11-site bucket, an air pump, and sponges.
- Efficient Design: The compact size of this grow kit makes it perfect for indoor use, and the 11-site bucket provides plenty of space to grow multiple plants at once. The sponges make transplanting seedlings easy. Also the air pump and bubble stone work well to oxygenate the water and provide liquid plant food to the plant roots.
- Fast Growth: A hydroponic system like this can lead to more rapid growth than traditional soil-based gardening. The Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit is designed to help plants proliferate, allowing you to enjoy fresh herbs and other small plants in just a few weeks.
- Easy to Use: Even if you’re new to hydroponics, this kit is easy to set up and use. The instructions are straightforward to follow so that you can get started with your indoor garden right away.
Who’s It for?
The Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit is perfect for anyone who wants to start their own hydroponic system for an indoor garden or grow smaller plants at home. It’s ideal for people who have limited outdoor space or live in apartments and need access to a traditional garden.
It’s also great for anyone who wants to grow plants more efficiently than traditional soil-based gardening. Hydroponic systems like this one can lead to faster growth and higher yields. In turn making them an excellent option for people who want to grow their own fresh vegetables, herbs, or other small plants.
Additionally, the Homend Indoor Hydroponic Grow Kit is easy to use and set up, making it a good option for people who are new to hydroponics or gardening in general. With its compact size, it’s also great for anyone who wants to add some greenery to their home without taking up too much space.
- Firstly determine your budget: The first step in buying hydroponic systems is determining how much you will spend. Kits can range from under $50 to several hundred dollars, so knowing what you can afford is essential.
- Next decide what you want to grow: The next step is to decide what you want to grow. You can use hydroponic systems to produce a variety of plants, from herbs and lettuce to tomatoes and peppers. Knowing what you want to grow will help you choose the suitable kit.
- Also consider the kit’s size: Hydroponic systems come in various sizes. From small countertop models to larger, more complex systems. Consider the space you have available for the kit and choose a size that fits your needs.
- Then look for a complete kit: Look for a kit that includes everything you need to get started. Including a reservoir, growing trays, a pump, grow media, and nutrient solution. This will save you time and money in the long run.
- Check the quality of the components: Look for a kit with high-quality parts, such as a durable pump and sturdy growing trays. Cheap components may break or wear out quickly, leading to poor results or the need to replace parts.
- Additionally read reviews: Read reviews from other customers to get an idea of how the kit performs in real-world situations. Look for reviews that mention the ease of use, durability, and plant growth.
- Consider additional features: Some hydroponic kits may come with additional features such as LED grow lights or automatic timers. Consider if these features are important to you and if they fit within your budget.
- Lastly check the warranty: Finally, check the warranty offered by the manufacturer. A good warranty can give you peace of mind and protect your investment.
By following these steps, you can choose the best hydroponic kit for your needs and start growing your own fresh produce at home.
What is the easiest hydroponic system to use?
Deep water culture is the easiest hydroponic system for beginners. It works by submerging the plant’s roots in nutrient-rich water.
What is the best hydroponic system for a small grow?
The Click and Grow Smart 9 system is one of the best hydroponic systems for a small grow. It comes with an application to monitor your plant’s growth and requirements, a built-in light, and is easy to run and install.
What is the highest-yielding hydroponic system?
Using a hydroponic system with as many planting sites as possible will ensure you receive the highest yield for the space you have. The Wallarm by Click and Grow has 51 planting sites and is designed in a three-tier system that allows you to grow a high yield in a small space.
What three plants grow best in hydroponics?
Lettuce, spinach, and strawberries are three plants that grow best in hydroponics. You can also grow herbs, peppers, and tomatoes.
Ready To Dive Into Hydroponics? The Cream of The Crop for Beginners
From looking at the variety of hydroponic systems on the market, you can see that they come in a range of shapes and sizes. For me however, Click and Grow won the show with their innovative, easy-to-use, and maintained product.
Whether you have ample space in your kitchen or entertainment area you want to fill or a small area on your kitchen benchtop, they have you covered. One of the best features of the Click and Grow hydroponic systems is the use of technology to monitor your plant’s needs. It’s great if you are away from home or if you share the responsibility of caring for the plants, as it lets you know when they need a top-up of plant food.
There are many factors to consider when purchasing your first hydroponic system: budget, space, what you would like to grow, and what lighting you need. With all these factors in mind, you can find the perfect hydroponic system to get you started.
Are Your Houseplants Looking Like They’ve Seen Better Days?
Don’t throw in the towel just yet! Our houseplant hub is here to help you turn over a new leaf and become a master of plant care. With your expert tips and tricks, you’ll be able to spruce up your indoor garden in no time.
Join our plant-loving tribe, and let’s bring your houseplants back to life. Feel free to drop us a line and let us know your thoughts and feedback on what works for your green babies.