You don’t need a sprawling garden or heaps of space to enjoy the best windowsill plants. Transform that barren windowsill into an envy-inducing, leafy statement. Fabulous green amigos that will brighten up your living space in no time!
Many windowsill plants are forgiving and can withstand a bit of benign neglect. Perfect for busy bees and plant beginners!
Studies have shown that having house plants around-even on a windowsill-can reduce stress, improve focus, and enhance overall well-being. Windowsill plants come in various shapes, sizes, and colors, making it a cinch to find the perfect match for your style. From lush ferns to quirky succulents and elegant flowering plants, there’s a windowsill wonder for every taste.
One of my overall favorites is Bloomscapes Silver Satin Pothos. The velvety, heart-shaped leaves with silver accents look absolutely stunning as they trail down the window, creating a mesmerizing curtain of deep green.
My schedule can get pretty hectic, but this Silver Satin Pothos is as low-maintenance as it gets. It thrives in the moderate light my window provides, and even if I occasionally forget to water it (oops!), it remains unfazed and resilient, bouncing back to life with a simple sip of water.
Let’s look at the impressive list of other contenders, as Pothos isn’t the only indoor window plant!
- Best Overall– Silver Satin Pothos
- Most Compact– Jade Plant
- Most Striking– Bird of Paradise
- Most Elegant– Peace Lily
- Most Beginner Friendly– Pilea Peperomioides (Chinese Money Plant)
Best Overall- Silver Satin Pothos
This gorgeous green gem has been the best indoor window plant, and I can’t help but gush about its incredible highlights. Those velvety, heart-shaped leaves with silver streaks are like little works of art, cascading down my window gracefully.
Silver Satin Pothos is an absolute trooper in taking care of itself. I may have missed a watering or two (we all have those forgetful moments, right?), but this resilient plant just shrugs it off and keeps thriving.
My window doesn’t always get direct sunlight, but that doesn’t faze my Silver Satin Pothos one bit. It’s content to bask in the indirect sunlight and still put on a show-stopping performance. I can’t help but admire its adaptability and laid-back attitude – it’s the chill buddy every windowsill needs!
The Silver Satin Pothos stands at an impressive 7″-12″ tall, gracefully trailing down from its recycled plastic Ecopot. It’s no-fuss, easy-care nature makes it a perfect pick for both experienced plant lovers and beginners.
This adaptable plant thrives in partial/bright indirect sunlight, ideal for various window placements. While it’s a stellar air cleaner, releasing oxygen and absorbing pollutants, you must note that the Silver Satin Pothos is not pet-friendly due to its toxicity.
- Velvety, heart-shaped leaves with silver streaks.
- This low-maintenance champion thrives even with occasional forgetfulness in watering.
- Versatile lighting tolerance adapts well to various lighting conditions, making it suitable for different window placements.
- Calming and tranquil presence creates a soothing atmosphere, perfect for relaxation and stress relief.
- Durable and resilient with a tough and hardy nature, bouncing back from minor neglect easily.
- Effortless cascading growth enhancing the window’s aesthetics.
- Ideal for compact spaces such as small apartments or limited gardening areas.
- Air-purifying properties improve indoor air quality, promoting a healthier living environment.
- 7″-12″ tall (including recycled plastic Ecopot), allowing it to trail gracefully.
- No-fuss andeasy care perfect for both experienced plant parents and beginners.
- Toxic and not pet-friendly, it’s ideal for households without furry friends.
Who’s It for?
Anybody wishing to enhance their indoor space with a dash of elegance and natural beauty may consider the Silver Satin Pothos. It appeals to people who value low-maintenance plants, making it ideal for time-constrained professionals or novice gardeners.
This pothos also works well in apartments, houses with little natural light, offices, and locations with various lighting circumstances. It also works well as an effective air purifier, making it perfect for plant lovers who want better indoor air quality.
It’s crucial to remember that this plant is inappropriate for homes with pets; therefore, pet owners should consider pet-friendly alternatives.
Most Compact- Jade Plant
Firstly, calling it “easy to care for” is an understatement. This beauty practically takes care of itself! You can literally forget about it for a while, and it’ll still be standing tall, like a botanical boss. This tough cookie can live for ages, becoming a family legacy for future generations.
It may grow at a leisurely pace (hey, two inches a year is still progress!), but trust me; it’ll be stretching to five feet tall in time! Keep it in bright indirect to direct light, allow it to dry between waterings, and remember it’s not pet-friendly.
It acts as an air cleaner, releasing oxygen and absorbing pollutants. The Jade Plant keeps its round leaves looking pristine. All it takes is a little regular dusting, and voilà – you’ve got yourself a picture-perfect plant worthy of a magazine cover!
The Bloomscape Potted Jade Plant is compact, standing 8″-10″ tall (including the recycled plastic Ecopot). This petite yet charming size makes it a perfect fit for various spaces, from a sunny window sill to a tabletop, adding a touch of green beauty to any corner of your home.
- 8″-10″ tall (including recycled plastic Ecopot) compact size, perfect for sunny windowsills and tabletops.
- No-fuss andeasy care, low-maintenance.
- Bright indirect to direct light, adaptable to different settings.
- Toxic and not pet-friendly is essential to keep away from pets due to its toxicity.
- It releases oxygen, absorbs pollutants, and acts as a natural air purifier, enhancing indoor air quality.
- Long-lasting and hardy, it can be passed down through generations with proper care.
- Easy to propagate and share with others.
- Attractive succulent with plump oval-shaped leaves.
- Drought-tolerant, thrives with infrequent watering
Who’s It for?
Anybody looking for low-maintenance, resilient, and aesthetically pleasing indoor window plants should consider the Bloomscape Potted Jade Plant.
Given that these house plants require little maintenance, they are perfect for plant parent newbies or those with hectic schedules.
Also, its compact size and lovely plump oval leaves will appeal to plant lovers wishing to add a dash of green elegance to their living environment.
However, the fact that this plant is not ideal for houses with pets must be taken into account.
Most Striking- Bird of Paradise
The White Bird of Paradise Plant from Tropical Plants of Florida is the ultimate statement plant for an indoor garden. This house plant comes in a 3-gallon planter, standing 30″ to 36″ (including the planter) tall.
They carefully wrap and seal the base, ensuring minimal soil spillage (because who wants a mess on arrival?). They even give it a recycled jean plant “blanket” for colder travels!
The White Bird of Paradise’s banana leaf-like foliage is simply mesmerizing. These house plants produce flowers that look like little birds! If that’s not a conversation starter, I don’t know what is!
As for care, the Bird of Paradise plant is pretty chill, has low watering needs, and is not too demanding. These wonderful plants appreciate moist soil but don’t want their roots swimming in water. Position the Bird of Paradise on a south-facing window or a west-facing window sill. These sunny window sills receive the most direct sunlight throughout the day. This way it is ensuring the Bird of Paradise has the intense sunlight it craves to produce its striking bird-like flowers.
It’s a NASA-approved air purifier! If NASA studies say that interacting with indoor plants can reduce stress, then I’m buying one for every room!
- 3 Gallon (10″) Planter; overall Size 30″ to 36″ tall, including the planter.
- Easy-to-care-for plant, perfect for busy individuals or beginners.
- Best in partial to full sun exposure.
- Toxic and not pet-friendly, ideal for households without pets.
- It releases oxygen and helps remove toxins, improving indoor air quality.
- Banana leaf-like leaves add a touch of paradise to your living room.
- Under the right conditions, it produces flowers resembling little birds.
- Handpicked from their field, wrapped, and prepared for shipment, ensuring quality delivery to your home.
- NASA-approved stress reliever.
- It helps purify the air, removing toxins such as benzene, TCE, and formaldehyde.
Who’s It for?
The White Bird of Paradise Plant from Tropical Plants of Florida is an excellent choice. It is a true indoor window plant for anyone who wants to bring a touch of tropical elegance and natural beauty into their sun-drenched windowsill. The Bird of Paradise appeals to individuals seeking to grow houseplants that are low-maintenance and can thrive on a sunny windowsill in partial to full bright light.
Additionally, it’s perfect for plant enthusiasts who appreciate the stunning lush green leaves. They are similar to a banana plant and have the potential for unique bird-like flowers under the right conditions.
However, it’s important to note that this house plant is not pet-friendly, making it more suitable for households without pets. If you are pet free however and desire a stress-relieving, air-purifying, and visually captivating addition to your home, the White Bird of Paradise Plant is the perfect choice!
Most Elegant- Peace Lily
Bloomscapes Peace Lily is a botanical icon that brings prosperity, purity, and peace into your home! This lovely plant has been a beloved staple for ages, and now I see why.
These creamy white blooms (spathes) are like little tokens of prosperity and remembrance. It loves to show off those beautiful spathes even more in bright indirect light, but it’s easy enough to tolerate any level of indirect light, even low light.
The Peace Lily can be a bit of a dramatic plant pal– it’ll wilt if it’s too dry. A little love in the form of thorough watering is all it takes to perk it right back up.
It comes 30″-32″ tall, including its recycled plastic Ecopot with saucer. It’s stylish and functional, cleansing the air, releasing oxygen, and taking on those nasty pollutants like a pro.
One of my favorite things about this Peace Lily as an indoor window plant is its adaptability to different light levels. My windowsill doesn’t get direct sun, but that hasn’t stopped it from thriving and surprising me with its stunning spathes.
An east-facing window sill will offer gentle morning sunlight. On the other hand a north-facing window sill provides consistent, low-intensity light throughout the day. These windows offer sufficient brightness without exposing the Peace Lily to direct sunlight, which can cause its leaves to scorch or turn yellow.
With this Peace Lily by my side, I’m breathing cleaner, fresher air, which has definitely contributed to a healthier and happier home environment.
- Iconic houseplant is known for its forgiving nature and vibrant, glossy leaves.
- Symbolic white blooms called spathes symbolize peace, prosperity, and remembrance.
- Perfect heartfelt gift due to its symbolism of prosperity, purity, peace, and sympathy.
- Adaptable light requirements can tolerate any level of indirect light, including low light. More likely to bloom in indirect bright light.
- Low maintenance makes it suitable for busy individuals or beginners.
- Acts as an air purifier as it releases oxygen and absorbs pollutants, enhancing indoor air quality.
- Dramatic wilting if too dry, but quickly bounces back with proper watering.
- Stands tall at 30″-32″ (including recycled plastic Ecopot), creating a captivating presence.
Who’s It for?
The Bloomscape Peace Lily appeals to a wide range of individuals. Its forgiving nature, vibrant, glossy leaves, and symbolic white blooms have made it an iconic choice for decades. The Peace Lily’s symbolism of peace, prosperity, and sympathy makes it a perfect heartfelt gift for various occasions.
This indoor window plant thrives in indirect bright light but is adaptable to any level of both direct and indirect sunlight and light, including low light conditions. With its air-purifying qualities, this house plant enhances indoor air quality, making it one of the best house plants for those conscious of their home’s environment.
The Bloomscape Peace Lily is a delightful addition to any home. It makes a great gift, especially for someone who appreciates the elegance and symbolism of house plants.
Most Beginner Friendly- Pilea Peperomioides (Chinese Money Plant)
The Rooted® Chinese Money Plant is not just easy on the eyes. It’s practically the “plant-parenting for dummies” edition – beautiful, low-maintenance, and super easy to grow!
What makes this one of the best house plants is its generous nature – it loves to share the leafy love with your friends! Just snip off a few new leaves with a knife, pop them into fresh soil, and you’ll have a whole bunch of baby Pileas to gift or keep as your green army of fortune-bringers.
And guess what? This plant is a pet-friendly superstar! Your furry friends can safely coexist with this green gem without any worries.
I’ve got a pro-tip for you – rotate this little buddy 180 degrees after every watering. In turn you’ll be rewarded with beautifully balanced and symmetrical leaves.
When shipping, they come directly from the greenhouse to your home; they waste no time making your sunny window sill a green paradise.
With over 700 types, the Pileas know how to strut their stuff in various colors, shapes, and textures.
I must admit, I’ve had my share of “overcrowding” drama with the famous Chinese money plant. They’re enthusiastic about growing and producing offshoots, so a bit of repotting will keep them in check.
These houseplants adore consistently well-balanced soil. If they show any strange markings or yellowing, it’s just their way of saying they need a feed.
- Beautiful, low-maintenance, and easy-to-grow houseplant.
- Easily propagate and share with friends.
- Medium to bright indirect light requirement.
- Water once a week when the top 2″ of soil dries.
- Pet-friendly – non-toxic to pets.
- Excellent choice for beginner houseplant parents.
- Pro-tip: Rotate 180 degrees after watering for balanced growth.
- Ships fast and directly from the greenhouse.
- Grown and certified in Florida.
- 14-Day Guarantee for customer satisfaction.
- Part of the largest genus of flowering plants in the Nettle family.
- Comes in a variety of colors, shapes, and textures.
- Known as the “Pass-It-On Plant” for its prolific offshoot production.
- Prefers consistently well-balanced soil.
Who’s It for?
Pilea peperomioides is the perfect choice for beginner plant owners looking to start their green journey. It’s also a favorite among experienced house plant enthusiasts who appreciate the variety of colors, shapes, and textures that Pileas offer.
Pet owners will be thrilled to know that the Chinese Money Plant is non-toxic and pet-friendly. For those seeking a touch of greenery and a lush jungle feel on their window sill, this vibrant and beautiful houseplant will suit their desires perfectly.
Additionally, the symbolism of good fortune and prosperity associated with the Chinese Money Plant makes it an excellent choice for thoughtful gift-givers.
Step By Step Buying Guide
- Assess Your Windowsill: Examine your windowsill to determine its size, sunlight exposure, and other environmental factors. Consider how much sunlight it receives throughout the day to help you choose houseplants that thrive in the available light conditions.
- Determine Your Plant Preferences: Consider size, color, and care requirements. Some popular windowsill plants include herbs, succulents, flowering plants, and foliage plants.
- Research Plant Care: Ensure that the house plants you choose match your ability to provide the right amount of water, light, and humidity. Look for house plants that are low-maintenance and well-suited to your lifestyle.
- Check for Pet-Friendly Options: Avoid house plants that may be harmful if ingested by your furry friends.
- Consider Space and Arrangement: Consider the available space, and choose house plants that fit well together without overcrowding.
- Buy from Reputable Sources: Purchase your windowsill plants from reputable nurseries, garden centers, or online retailers. Check reviews and ratings to ensure the quality of the plants and the seller’s reliability.
- Opt for Healthy Plants: Look for signs of pests, diseases, or wilting leaves. Choose plants with vibrant foliage and sturdy stems.
- Read Plant Labels: This will give you essential details about the plant’s light requirements, water needs, and other care instructions.
- Consider Pot Size: Ensure that the pots or containers you choose for windowsill plants fit nicely on your windowsill and provide adequate drainage. Avoid pots that are too large and may take up excessive space on the sill.
- Group Complementary Plants: If you plan to have multiple house plants on your windowsill, consider grouping complementary plants together to create a visually appealing and harmonious display.
- Plan for Watering: Establish a watering schedule and keep track of the water needs of each plant. Overwatering or underwatering can lead to issues with plant health.
What plants grow well on window sills?
Plants that grow well on window sills include herbs like basil, mint, and parsley, as well as small succulents like jade plants and haworthias. Pothos, spider plants, and peace lilies are popular choices for window sills due to their low-light tolerance.
What plants can I grow on my window?
You can grow various plants on your window depending on the sunlight it receives. Some options include herbs, flowering plants like geraniums and begonias, ferns, and snake plants.
What is a plant on windowsill?
A plant on a windowsill refers to a potted plant placed on the ledge or shelf of a window, where it receives sunlight and is easily accessible for care and observation.
What can you plant on windowsill in winter?
You can plant cold-hardy herbs like rosemary and thyme or winter-blooming houseplants like cyclamens and Christmas cacti on your windowsill in winter. You can also bring in potted outdoor plants sensitive to cold temperatures for protection.
Which indoor plants don’t need sunlight?
Several indoor plants thrive in low-light conditions and don’t require direct sunlight. Examples include snake, ZZ, peace lilies, pothos, and cast iron plants.
Does sunlight go through window plants?
Yes, the sun’s bright rays penetrate through to window plants to some extent. However, the amount of light that reaches the plants can vary depending on factors like window orientation, the presence of curtains or blinds, and the thickness of the window glass. Some plants may require supplemental artificial light if they don’t receive enough natural sunlight through the window.
Windowsill Wonders: The Best Blooms at Your Fingertips!
Regarding the best windowsill plants, the Bloomscape Silver Satin Pothos stands out as the ultimate champion. Its beautiful, heart-shaped silver foliage cascading gracefully adds elegance and natural beauty to any windowsill.
The Silver Satin Pothos is a stunning addition to your windowsill garden and an easy-to-care-for, low-maintenance plant. This, in turn, makes it an ideal choice for both beginners and experienced plant parents. Its air-purifying qualities and ability to tolerate partial and bright indirect light further solidify its position as the top choice for windowsill greenery.
As for the second-best contender, the Bloomscape Jade Plant takes the spotlight. Known for its iconic round, plump leaves, this easy-to-grow succulent has captured the hearts of many plant enthusiasts. With its symbolic association of prosperity, purity, and peace, the Jade Plant becomes more than just a houseplant—a cherished family heirloom that can be passed down for generations.
Its adaptability to different light levels, from bright indirect light to direct light, makes it an excellent choice for various windowsill settings, bringing a touch of tropical delight into your home.
Want the Inside Scoop on How to Keep Your Plants Looking as Fresh as a Daisy?
From beginners to masters of the indoor jungle, our houseplant hub is a one-stop destination for all your houseplant care needs.
From watering hacks that will leave your plants refreshed and happy to light and humidity tips that will create the perfect environment for growth, you’ll find it all in our houseplant guides.
Join our community of passionate plant enthusiasts, share your experiences, and learn from the collective wisdom of fellow green lovers.